Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

From the Heart Waffles


Breakfast is the favorite meal in our household, especially on weekends.  I make crepes, muffins, cinnamon rolls, and waffles.  So this morning I asked my son what it was he wanted me to cook.  I suggested blueberry pancakes but he said, "no, blueberry waffles".  We haven't tried this before so it was worth a shot.

As I was making the waffles, I thought about how I could make them special.  My son, like most kids, loves when I make cut-outs of anything.  I remembered I had a great big heart cookie cutter in the cupboard, perfect for a big waffle.

Once the waffles were finished baking in the waffle maker, I carefully peeled them off, placed them on a flat surface, and pressed the cookie cutter down to create perfect heart-shaped waffles.  I set the trimmings aside because in my house, waffles are snacked upon all day long.

My son was thrilled with the fun shape, so much so he didn't want me to cut it into bite size pieces.  Unfortunately for him I had already covered them with syrup and didn't want him using his hands (which he did anyway).  He also wouldn't let me take a picture of him enjoying the yummy creation.


Here's what you'll need:
Waffle Maker
Bowl
Whisk
Wooden Spoon
Butter or Cooking Spray

For the Waffles:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 cup or so blueberries (frozen or fresh)

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Stir mixture first with a wooden spoon, then with a whisk until all ingredients are well combined.  Do not overmix!  Batter should be slightly lumpy.  Fold in blueberries until well combined.

Coat waffle iron with butter or cooking spray.  A heavy coat will be needed because the blueberries stick!  The size of your waffle maker will determine the amount of batter you pour onto the grids.  I use about 1 cup (my maker is on the larger size)

Cook your waffle according to manufactures directions.  Use a fork to remove waffle off the grid.  Place on a flat surface and cut waffle with desired cookie cutter, in this case, a heart.  Serve with butter, syrup, blueberries, whip cream, or any other topping of choice.

And of course, serve with LOVE.

Recipe variation based upon:
"Waffles." Recipe. Better Homes and Gardens: New Cook Book. Iowa: Meredith Corporation, 1989. 152-3.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute idea...thanks for sharing your recipe....love the pics!Wish i was that organised for breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your breakfast options sound like favorites! The heart shaped waffles is a cute idea. My son loves cut outs too. I love how kids can love the little details immensely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...